Thursday, February 11, 2010

Winter Squash Pasta

Last night for dinner I decided to use what I had on hand for dinner instead of treking to the grocery store. I realized that I just didn't want to walk back downstairs and out in the cold after getting home from the gym.

I always have pasta on the shelf, so that became my base, but I didn't want the typical red sauce, and I wanted something somewhat healthy.

In the fridge I had approximately a cup of milk, a quarter cup of parmesean, and some American cheese. I scoured the freezer and found a nice 2 cup package of left over blue hubbard squash from Thanksgiving, it said sweet squash, so it had some maple syrup, a little butter, and some brown sugar.

I figured why not, through some brussell sprouts on the side and had a very tasty dinner.

Winter Squash Pasta

1 Box Pasta
1 TBS Butter
1 TBS Flour
1 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Parmesean
6 Slices American
2 Cups Cooked Winter Squash
Garlic and Herb Seasoning
Cayenne
Salt and Pepper

Cook pasta till al dente.
In a seperate pan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Add garlic and herb seasoning, cayenne, and salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in milk to avoid clumps. Add frozen squash and let melt, mixing into cream sauce. Once heated through, add the cheese and stir till melted. Turn off the heat.
Drain the pasta and mix into the sauce.
Serve!

No comments: