Friday, May 31, 2013

Payne Mountain

Its hot. Really hot. So instead of sitting at home on the couch in the AC, I decide to join Jeremy and our friend Jim for a run up Payne Mountain.

The first time I ever went up Payne Mountain I opted to take turns dragging a tire. I spent far less time running but my heart was racing like I was.

This trip up, I ran more than I thought I could. At one point I knew I had run more than my previous trip up the mountain. So I set a goal: 3 more running sections and I would feel like I had really accomplished something.  Then I was not as close to the top as I expected, so I did two more running sections. Whew. That kicked my butt.  I pushed at each of the running sections going at least 3 strides if not 30 plus feet past my designated walking point.  I was so proud of myself when I reach the top.  Jim pretty much stayed with me although he would run again, find a trail that would loop back around to me and pass me again. Worked well to push me.  Jeremy on the other hand flew up and down and was back at the bottom I am pretty sure before I ever reached the top. Both guys are MANIMALS!

Jim and I at the top... Hot sweaty messes.
I had told Jim before we started, I wanted to run down the trail instead of the road. That is the only reason I ended up walking any down hill.  There is more attention that must be spent as there are roots and rocks. I would get to the point where my feet were shuffling. Since it wasn't an appealing idea to face plant, I took several walking breaks. Just long enough to get my legs refreshed.  I still flew down the mountain.

Can't wait to go back up. I want to beat my time. I think it was 1 hour and 40 minutes total.

No comments: